– Sewing is considered one of the the oldest of the textile arts, dating back to the Palaeolithic era, and is used in a variety of industries such as tailoring, shoemaking, upholstery or sail making.
– It was done by hand for thousand of years until the invention of the sewing machine during the Industrial Revolution in the nineteenth century.
– In London the home of high-quality, bespoke tailoring is Savile Row. The first tailoring shops were established here in the late 18th century, and patrons have included Lord Nelson, Winston Churchill and Mick Jagger.
– Tailors use a pattern or template to construct pieces of garments, before sewing them together to create the finished product.
– During the 20th century, there were a number of advances in the sewing machine technology and the textile industry that spread around the world.
– Although Western-style clothing prevailed, different cultures have developed diverse sewing techniques, from methods of cutting fabric to types of stitch.
I have also found many sewing tips, tools and tricks online for your home sewing, which I’ll share with you on our Pinterest sewing board.
But remember! if you don’t have time to do repairs or simply don’t know how to sew, LaundryRepublic’s professional tailoring service offers a brilliantly convenient way to get your clothes repaired or altered. From sewing on new buttons, to re-seating and re-hemming, to taking a garment in, out, up or down – our excellent tailor has 30 years of experience and is here to help.
Simply enter your instructions when ordering online or call us on 020 7193 3130 for specific queries. Our standard tailoring prices are available at www.laundryrepublic.com/view-prices.html, and for anything else you can send us the garment and ask for a free, no-obligation quote.